If you weren’t already olive oil (liquid gold!) has many uses and it also happens to have many great healthy benefits for the skin. Most oils are known to clog your pores but not olive oil; olive oil doesn’t sit on top of your skin like others. It actually seeps in beyond the surface and deeply penetrates and moisturizes multiple layers of skin. When applying olive oil less is definitely more; just a dime sized portion for any part of the body will do the trick! It’s made up of antioxidants (Vitamin E), can be used as a make-up remover, or a cuticle softener; and it even helps to enhance the exfoliation process.
Which brings me to my next point. Exfoliation! Exfoliating is life, it feels amazing and the results are even better. Exfoliating is significantly important to having healthy skin. And what better way to exfoliate your skin than with a home-made chemical free sugar scrub solution? With this inexpensive, hassle-free, D.I.Y. olive oil & sugar scrub you will be on your way to having clearer, smoother, and more radiant skin in no time!
The benefits of exfoliating includes preventing dry and itchy skin, removing the build up of old dead skin cells that clog pores and cause acne and cysts, and also by producing a beautiful natural glow and softer feel. However, you should also be cautious of over-exfoliating. Over-exfoliating can cause your skin to become dehydrated leading to irritation and dryness. So, I recommend exfoliating skin no more than 3 time a week, preferably skipping a day or two in between scrubs to prevent tenderness, redness and irritation.
Ingredients: (lasts for 2 weeks, after 2 weeks discard and re-make; using fresh ingredients means that the shelf like won’t be as long as store bought chemical filled scrubs but if you’re using it as you should the scrub should only be enough to last you two weeks)
1/2 cup brown sugar (organic or regular)
1/2 of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of honey (organic or regular, use agave if vegan)
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 of vanilla extra
Instructions: (can be used all over, face, lip & body scrub)
- Add the olive oil into a plastic or glass container or jar with a lid
- Mix in the 2 tablespoons of honey/agave
- Mix or stir until the two are completely blended
- Add the granulated sugar
- Add the brown sugar
- Stir until the mixture becomes a thick grainy paste (test with finger, add more sugar or oil depending on the texture you desire)
- Allow scrub to settle for a minimum of 15 mins
- After scrub has settled it is now ready for use!
- Scrub a small amount and rub into skin in a circular motion for about 60 seconds
- Rinse skin throughly with cool water and pat dry with a towel apply a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil to skin after to lock in moisture
I hope some of you found this scrub is useful, if you decide to give it a try comment your results!