Ladies and gents put the razor and shaving cream away….I repeat put them down now! Shaving is not the way to go in terms of removing hair. Nope, I don’t care about it being “convenient”, or “cheaper” and honestly neither should you. When you shave not only are you damaging your skin but your hair follicles as well, risking uneven/darker skin pigment in those areas, opening opportunity for infections/razor or hair bumps, clogging up your drains, & etc. Tsk-tsk, all those risks for such short lasting results. Ehhh, at this point is it even worth it? Because if I can remember correctly a close shave lasts maybe 4-5 days (being extremely generous here because mine actually seem to grow back instantly lol smh) before it’s time to trim down again…who has time for that??? Not I lol, when I’m ready to go swimming, put on a tank top, wear a nice dress, or whatever I don’t want to have to take extra time out of my day shaving in order to put on the clothes I want. And this is why I now wax! I’ve gone to the wax shops, tried the store bought at home wax kits/strips, and even created my own wax solution, and they’ve all lasted at minimum 5 weeks before I even saw a millimeter of hair reappear. I was amazed, the few short minutes of “pain” is absolutely worth it! To be able to get up and go without having to “touch up” every other day is so much more convenient in my opinion. Waxing also doesn’t have to cost an arm & a leg, if going to the wax shop every other month isn’t in the budget then I have the perfect D.I.Y. solution for you! Take a look below for more information.
D.I.Y. Sugar Waxing Mixture (Unisex, Face & Body)
Ingredients: 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup of water, 2-3 drops tea tree oil, 1/4 cup of lemon or lime juice
Tools needed: popsicle sticks, a glass bowl, thin cloth(s), small pot, a thermometer
- Pour all ingredients in small pot (sugar, water, lemon/lime juice, oil)
- Set the stove/burner to a medium-high temperature
- Stir the mixture together until it is evenly combined (should have a syrup like texture)- KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE MIX!!! Sugar burns fast, don’t stop stirring for too long.
- When the mixture starts to brown stick the tip of the thermometer into it and check the temp (250 is the perfect temp for wax)
- Pour into the glass bowl and allow to cool for 2 hours
- Place a reasonable amount into a microwave safe dish and heat for 15-30 seconds
- Remove and place popsicle stick into wax
- Apply on clean skin in the direction that your hair grows (if your hair grows upward then spread going up, if it grows downwards then spread going down)
- Cover waxed area immediately with a thin cloth and press down until it sticks
- Quickly remove cloth and repeat until all hair is gone (check cloth to see how much hair is coming off so you’ll know if you need to apply a thicker layer next time or not)
Wax can be kept in an airtight glass or plastic container and stored in the fridge for up to 3 months.